10 questions with Caroline Marine
Caroline Marine is working in the fields of Illustration, Graphic and Web Design. She is living and working in Berlin. We love her delicate illustration style... and her bags!
1. Tell us something about yourself.
I am an Illustrator & Graphic Designer based in Berlin. I am drawing since I am little, specialized on portraits. I am running my own business with my twin sister, she is a product designer. Together we founded our fashion label named Marin et Marine in 2013. We design cotton and leather bags in various shapes and colors and sell them online and through selected retailshops in Europe.
2. How did you get started as an illustrator?
For our own label we had to design the complete corporate identity and included some of my illustrated girls as postcards to the online shop. They were much appreciated. And through that the first projects came along for various clients, among some fashion magazines.
3. How would you describe your style?
It is a delicate and accentuated style. I am crosshatching the shades and playing with accentuated light and strong lines. These days I am experimenting with color.
4. What’s your technical/creative process?
I collect photos of women who have a strong expression or fashionable style and draw them with a black pen. Additionally I add color.
5. Who or what inspires you and your work?
Christina K. from London inspires me a lot and encourage me to continue to become better in drawing fine portraits. Kelly Marie Beeman from New York inspires me a lot in the way she puts color on her illustrations. I love her style. Both motivate me to grow and develop as an artist.
6. Which brands do you work for or would you love to work for?
I work for my own brand Marin et Marine and draw postcards and calendars for it. But I also love to work for fashion magazines like Achtung Mode. For me, working with other brands is what allows me to do other things I enjoy.
7. What is your favorite thing in the world to illustrate?
Portraits with a special charisma. Women especially who have a strong expression or a little something that catches me.
8. What’s your dream project?
I would adore to create a painting on a big canvas with color.
9. What 3 things can't you live without?
Bic Pen, Sketchbook, Photo Camera
10. Any words of wisdom to aspiring artists?
1. To always try new things.
2. I am always too impatient. But taking time and making mistakes is part of the process.
Caroline offers a special discount for all the iloveillustration fans. 20% for the papeterie and 10 % for the lovely bags. Just use the code 'iloveillustration' for the papeterie and 'ilovebags' for the bags when checking out. So hurry to the Marin et Marine site!
Thank you Caroline!