10 Questions with Soraya Basiran
Dutch fashion stylist and illustrator Soraya Basiran was spotted by H&M on instagram and is collaborating with them since. We love her fashionable edgy tall women with big coats and thigh high boots.
1. Hi Soraya! Tell us something about yourself.
I was born nearby the dutch coast and submarines, and always feel close connected to sea, ocean, canals. It makes me feel free.
2. How did you get started as an illustrator? education etc.
I always enjoyed drawing since I was a kid. I went to school for Fashion design and developed my own handwriting. When I started my instagram account H&M saw what I did and asked me to do illustrations for their Kenzo collab. Then the story got started.
3. How would you describe your style?
Edgy really tall women with mostly big coats and thigh high boots. Just because I love it. And if i don't find typical clothes for shoots or myself I just have to get them on paper.
4. What’s your technical/creative process?
I start with a look , shape or color. Then I start to draw with pencil and then all kinds of material like paint or ecoline. Whatever works. A cut-out could also work as a part of a illustration.
5. Who or what inspires you and your work?
People, animals, tv series, nature, concepts for my styling-jobs. Anything!
6. Which brands do you work for or do you love to work for?
I work with H&M Kenzo, H&M Studio, Design 5star hotel Andaz, Azzurro. I would love to do collabs with all kinds of brands. Could be fashion, could be a book, interior. I have a very broad interest.
7. What is your favorite thing in the world to illustrate?
8. Name 3 things you can't live without?
My family, my jewellery, my special vintage leather jacket
9. Any new creative plans for 2018? expositions? books? collaborations?
I have a very interesting collab with a designerhotel and with a highend fashion store for tablewear
10. Any words of wisdom to aspiring artists?
"Just do what you love!"
Thank you Soraya!